Even after you have a successful medical procedure, depending on the type of procedure and the severity of your injury or condition, your tired body may need rehabilitation in order for you to become strong and healthy again.
Some of the most common medical procedures that may require rehabilitation include:
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Spinal and neurological surgery
- Breast surgery
- Urological surgery
- Abdominal and thoracic surgery
- Obstetric and gynaecological surgery
These procedures can be incredibly taxing on the body – both in the lead up to, during, and after the procedure – and result in certain parts of the body being unable to move and function like they normally would.
Not only are these after-effects inconvenient to your everyday living, but they can also inhibit you from going back to work. If you live alone, you may also be at a greater risk of an accidental fall or injury.
For these reasons, if you have recently undergone a major medical procedure, your surgeon – along with prescribing you medication to relieve pain – may recommend you take part in a rehabilitation program to help you recover.
Benefits of post-surgery rehabilitation
By taking part in a rehabilitation program, one that is tailor made to suit your individual needs, this can help you reach your goals safely and quickly. This may include working towards one or more of the following outcomes:
- Regain the ability to perform basic household tasks – i.e. get in and out of bed, get dressed, use the toilet, do the laundry, and more.
- Go back to work sooner and perform work-related tasks safely
- Improve your joint range and sense of motion
- Boost your overall strength, flexibility, and general wellbeing
- Improve your posture and balance to prevent accidental falls
- Aid in your body’s circulation to prevent the risk of blood clots
- Reduce swelling in certain parts of the body
- Speed up post-surgery recovery times
Tailor made rehabilitation programs for you
Regardless of your ideal outcomes, your physio will take the time to understand your current circumstances. He will listen to you, establish clear and realistic goals, and implement a post-surgery rehab program that meets your individual needs.
Your physio will also liaise with your surgeon and other relevant medical health professionals. This will ensure your rehab program is in line with your post-surgery guidelines. As a result, this will greatly improve your chances of achieving a safe and successful recovery, while minimising complications.
Depending on the type of procedure you had, including the pre- and post-surgical state of your body, your physio may recommend the following treatments:
- Circulation and breathing exercises: To help relax the muscles, ease stress, and increase energy.
- Improve mobility: To help you move safely, navigate around the home, and improve your motion and flexibility. Plus, learn how to safely and correctly use mobility aides such as crutches, walking sticks, and walker frames.
- General exercises: Learn specific stretches and exercises designed to help relieve pain, prevent the risk of new injuries, and assist in your recovery.
Furthermore, your physio will assess your living space. He will show you how to perform daily household tasks just like you would in your normal routine. This way, you will know exactly how to manage on your own, and – if a carer is present – they will know how to provide the right level of care as well.
Why choose mobile physiotherapist Andrew Hamilton
- ExperienceWith over 22 years of experience helping people recover from a range of medical procedures, Andrew has a deep understanding of the common after-effects of these procedures and how to provide the most suitable treatment.
- ConvenientWithout the need to visit a physio clinic, Andrew will gladly come to you! On a day and time that suits you, he can visit your home or aged care facility. This ensures all sessions are held in a safe, private environment. Plus, all equipment is brought directly to you!
- Honest upfront costOur price structure is highly competitive with physio clinics in your local area. As a result, you get to enjoy the convenience of a home care physio, without paying an unnecessary added cost.
- EffectiveAndrew will only recommend treatments that are designed to help you where it matters most. This may involve a combination of massages, stretch exercises, gentle joint manipulation, and more. Rest assured, Andrew will help you get the results you need to perform at your absolute best.
- Total peace of mindAndrew Hamilton is a fully qualified and insured mobile physiotherapist. He is also proudly registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Registration Agency (AHPRA). With this association, you will total peace of mind knowing that you are receiving the highest level of care and support.
Book an appointment today
Andrew Hamilton is available by appointment Monday to Friday (7am – 8pm). He proudly services Penrith, the Blue Mountains, and the surrounding Western Sydney region.
To book an appointment with Andrew, simply call 0418 124 298 today.